Estimated Range

stevewp

So....I had a test ride yesterday and absolutely LOVED the bike. I had just one concern though - even before I set off, at 100% charge, it estimated the range at 66 miles.

Now, I've read the manual since and it says that the range is estimated based on the way it's been ridden, so I can only assume it's been ridden hard by everyone so far. So that's fine.

But is there any way of resetting that? Does it reset when the trip computer is reset, or will it just constantly re-evaluate things? If so, how long does it tend to adjust to the current riding style to give a more accurate estimation?

briantrice

Which model are you talking about?

Also, range is heavily dependent on average speed. Any travel under 55mph will extend your range by almost 2x (per mile at that speed).

stevewp

Hi Brian,

it's a 2015 model SR 12.5kwh. I definitely gave it some stick, so wasn't surprised by the lack of range. And I'm guessing that everyone else who's ridden it has done the same. The 55mph marker is interesting though. No more than half of my commute will be sub that speed but it's certainly something to aim for.

The dealer has offered me the bike for 2 days (though I'll try to stretch them to 3) so I can see how it works for me with the commute.

LeftieBiker

Re: Range

Hi Brian,

it's a 2015 model SR 12.5kwh. I definitely gave it some stick, so wasn't surprised by the lack of range. And I'm guessing that everyone else who's ridden it has done the same. The 55mph marker is interesting though. No more than half of my commute will be sub that speed but it's certainly something to aim for.

The dealer has offered me the bike for 2 days (though I'll try to stretch them to 3) so I can see how it works for me with the commute.
I drive a Nissan Leaf, and 55-60MPH is the Magic Line for that vehicle as well. Pretty much anything that isn't very aerodynamic (like a Tesla S is) will suffer substantial range loss above 60MPH. I'll be putting a windshield on the SR, and while my primary concern is my comfort, I'd also like a taller one that will also help range when I tuck in behind it a bit. Is the Commuter Screen ok in this department?

darpatnm

Just a thought on windshields / wind resistance

I drive a Nissan Leaf, and 55-60MPH is the Magic Line for that vehicle as well. Pretty much anything that isn't very aerodynamic (like a Tesla S is) will suffer substantial range loss above 60MPH. I'll be putting a windshield on the SR, and while my primary concern is my comfort, I'd also like a taller one that will also help range when I tuck in behind it a bit. Is the Commuter Screen ok in this department?
Some years back I had a Rifle Sport Fairing on my Honda Rebel. Rifle claims 16% reduction in wind resistance. I did not see significant economy or top end change, but the bike did seem to be not working as hard, and the wind control was amazing! It was just like riding my college roommate's 1986 Gold Wing -- no turbulence at all behind this pricey (about $450-500) fork mounted unit. I am still psychologically recovering from the cost of my SR, but may well consider this item again. The last I knew, the mounts were cheezy in the extreme, and I rebuilt them completely. They will need to go through that slot between the headlight housing and the "tank" bodywork. I do not know if the Zero shield mounts can be copied for this.

A Slipstreamer SS3220 Falcon worked very much the same on a Rebel more recently and is far less costly. It required moving the turn signals, and probably would on the Zero as well. The mounting brackets are excellent on the Rebel, but will not reach around the Zero fork tubes, and will have very close clearance to the tank body. Again, I do not know if the Zero shield mounts can be adapted for this excellent shield.

Southwest Roadrunner - Darryl
Half Pint the Tour-Able '09 Honda Rebel CMX250 -- retained for rides too long for the Zero,
Zero SR FZ 12.5, unnamed at present, under 200 miles so far

gyrocyclist

Think specs are mostly good

I have a 2016 SR, just over 1,000 miles. I've never looked at the "estimated range." Instead, I look at the miles driven since the last full charge, and the charge remaining. I think the specs in the brochures are reasonably accurate. If I ride conservatively at ~45 mph think I could easily reach a 160 mile range.

Brillot2000

I have a 2016 SR, just over 1,000 miles. I've never looked at the "estimated range." Instead, I look at the miles driven since the last full charge, and the charge remaining. I think the specs in the brochures are reasonably accurate. If I ride conservatively at ~45 mph think I could easily reach a 160 mile range.
I have a 2015 SR with the PowerTank. I ride at 75-80 MPH on the highways mostly commuting to work about 30 miles each way. The most range on got on my bike was 80-85 miles, that was with a mix of highway and city streets.

View attachment 24 View attachment 25

Speed is the determining factor here and your range is inversely proportional to it. The faster you ride, the less range you will get. The slower you ride, the more range you will experience. Racing to light to light will have a direct effect on your range as well... ;)

Last edited: