hi...just bought my first zero...2022 SR.

B.FRANK

I am 63 years old and have been riding since I was 11. I have had many motorcycles over the years, street, dirt, and dual sport. 4 years ago I bought my first electric bike, a 2018 Alta supermoto, and fell hard for electric bikes. I then put an electric motor on an occ stingray bicycle, got a Sur Ron and upped it to 72 volts and bought another Alta, a 2017 mx, I recently sold 7 ice bikes and decided it's time to go for more range electrically. I looked at Energica and lightning but really fell for the 2022 zero sr. first impression is that it is a wonderful bike, not just for an electric bike, a wonderful bike all around. very smooth, almost silent, very well balanced, and pretty quick. I mainly ride back roads and rarely exceed 60 miles on a ride so the 100 mile plus range is fine with me. I may upgrade the range and power settings in the future but right now I'm riding with abs and traction control on until I find how the bike will perform in certain circumstances but first thing will be a rear fender eliminator to get rid of the license plate wheelie bar. does anyone know if a sr/f or sr/t fender eliminator will fit this bike? anyhow any suggestions or heads up on potential issues would be welcome. if I had to have one complaint about the bike it would be that the rear brake pedal isn't where I think it should be...it feels like I have to point my toes under the bike to find the pedal, I will get used to it, other than that CANYON MODE ROCKS! PS...I'm not abandoning ice bikes completely I'm keep ing my Norton, super hawk,xtrainer,lt750 quad and trx250r quad. so 5 electrics and 5 gas burners a nice balance.

Reactions: Ira

slant911

Welcome aboard. This forum is not very active but I check in almost every day anyhow. I hope you have a dealer nearby...Probably biggest complaint from owners is dealer not close by them so it is a pain to get fixed when needed. In the meantime though....enjoy!

Jimmy Zero

Welcome, I see this forum is not very active, only one way to fix that is to post! Also, dealer locations are a problem over here in Europe too! Good Luck and enjoy!

B.FRANK

just received word from zero that the new sr upgrades will not be available until September. I was hoping to chat with people who know this bike as cypher store is vague and misleading and press release statements are misleading. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just bought an sr/f. press release states charging upgrade to be 100% faster charge time, it's actually 10%! who's gonna pay to turn a six hour recharge into a 5+ hour recharge? either way your down for the day pretty much. the press releases say that you can do 2 battery upgrades to get better range, ie. equal to the 15+ premium battery... when actually you can pay a lot to unlock an extra 10% for extended riding...100 vs 110 miles? not worth almost two grand. and you can buy a heavy battery that eliminates storage and adds a lot of weight high up on the bike where it affects handling and still only adds 10%. the power upgrade seems worth it but how much will it hurt range? don't get me wrong, I love the bike, I was led to believe that I could have a sr/f without having to pay for on dash navigation, heated grips, parking mode and other things that I don't want or need. is this an accurate picture? or am I missing something? I tried to research more about this new bike but most information is vague and/or misleading

Welcome aboard. This forum is not very active but I check in almost every day anyhow. I hope you have a dealer nearby...Probably biggest complaint from owners is dealer not close by them so it is a pain to get fixed when needed. In the meantime though....enjoy!
Range is my biggest issue with my 2020 SRS. 65 miles at 70 mph and the battery is drained.

B.FRANK

hey Charlie, it seems like WE ARE THIS FORUM. I'm in eastern Pennsylvania, bucks county, if you're close by maybe we could ride sometime. if not we have to wait for major battery improvements. good riding !

trgssgt

just received word from zero that the new sr upgrades will not be available until September. I was hoping to chat with people who know this bike as cypher store is vague and misleading and press release statements are misleading. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have just bought an sr/f. press release states charging upgrade to be 100% faster charge time, it's actually 10%! who's gonna pay to turn a six hour recharge into a 5+ hour recharge? either way your down for the day pretty much. the press releases say that you can do 2 battery upgrades to get better range, ie. equal to the 15+ premium battery... when actually you can pay a lot to unlock an extra 10% for extended riding...100 vs 110 miles? not worth almost two grand. and you can buy a heavy battery that eliminates storage and adds a lot of weight high up on the bike where it affects handling and still only adds 10%. the power upgrade seems worth it but how much will it hurt range? don't get me wrong, I love the bike, I was led to believe that I could have a sr/f without having to pay for on dash navigation, heated grips, parking mode and other things that I don't want or need. is this an accurate picture? or am I missing something? I tried to research more about this new bike but most information is vague and/or misleading
Hi, my name is Frank, and I live in Scotland Uk. Now I bought a 2022 SR Jun this year (23) thinking as you seem to be that as and when either funds or want have it you can upgrade. Now as I ONLY charge at home using my cars granny charger I do not want or need any of the charging upgrades nor the battery capacity upgrades (except for the free 10% battery increase) as my trips are less than 100 Miles round trips which is achievable on one charge. Parking mode possibly but only because it's a cool feature and more importantly reasonably cheap. So that leaves me with the performance boost which I would like but it's bloody expensive and I don't on reflection think it is worth the money. For example the 0-60 time on a SR/F is 3.6 secs and on the 2022 SR it is 3.9 so first of all I don't think you would notice the difference which would have piissed me off after spending £1495. I also don't think you would notice any difference on for example (could be wrong as I could only find the 0-60 times to compare) on 30-70 or 60-80 times so that only left the top speed times which are well documented as 124mph for the SR/F and 104mph for the SR. I have had the bike for only two weeks now and I have been running around on my custom mode with everything at 100% and top speed of 104mph which was the fastest speed you can select when setting up your custom mode(s). Now today I was looking at the preset modes on my app and have just noticed that the top speed on Canyon and Sport shows as 127mph which I thought was strange as during my first week I never noticed this and Never managed to get past 104 whilst testing the bike out. So I thought , ok, bike is software driven as it's an EV (same as my EV car) and as it shows 127 mph in Canyon/Sport mode it should be able to do it. Canyon mode selected and off I went, well bugger me it did indeed go up to 127mph and bloody quickly too. How this happened I don't know as the 22 SR is not supposed to be able to do this!!!

Long story short, no need for the performance upgrade. My only worry how is will it stay this way especially if I carry out a software update which unless I have to I won't do it . Question has any of you guys noticed this?

Frank

B.FRANK

I always run in canyon mode but haven't tried to go over 100mph. are you sure your speedometer is set to miles per hour and not kilometers per hour? I'll have to try it and see.

trgssgt

Hi,

The bike is 100% in mph, and was bought from a dealer, ex demo with 214 miles on the clock and I very much doubt it has had a "performance boost" update.

If it had the performance update one would assume that when setting up a custom mode you would be able to set the speed to 124 mph, I can't, it will only let me set it to 104 Mph. In my pre-set modes speeds in eco is 75 mph, rain 100mph, standard 110 mph (another peculiarity as my max is supposed to be 104 mph), sport 127 mph and canyon 127 mph.

Can you confirm that what top speeds are on your pre-set modes are, assuming you have a SR without the performance boost, thanks.

Regards

Frank

PS I had a problem operating my Cypher Store and Zero were contacted and deleted my account from the server (at my request) and put me back on. I was then able the purchase the 10% battery increase. Wonder if this impacted the settings?

PPS In the purchase history of the bike it only shows my 10% extra battery capacity, thought, I will try and buy the performance boost today, if it is already on the bike it will tell me I think.

B.FRANK

I only use canyon mode, I like engine braking/regen and could only manage an indicated 106 mph. I guess you got lucky, I'm jealous. ps no mods other than the free 10% battery increase, I don't think the others are worth the price for me. too little gain for way too much money. I love the bike as it is.

trgssgt

I only use canyon mode, I like engine braking/regen and could only manage an indicated 106 mph. I guess you got lucky, I'm jealous. ps no mods other than the free 10% battery increase, I don't think the others are worth the price for me. too little gain for way too much money. I love the bike as it is.
Yes, I agree with you, don't know if it will last. It will probably go back to normal on the first software update. I will enjoy it while it lasts, all the best. Oh, I am going to convert my rear brake to a front brake where the clutch would normally go, have you thought about this?

I am doing this because I fitted 40mm lower pegs and find that it's very difficult to use the rear brake, however the comfort of the lower pegs makes this small issue worthwhile. I will let you know-how it goes

Frank

B.FRANK

I have a left hand rear brake on my alta mx and I love it. great for dirt bikes where you have to put your foot down often but I couldn't see a reason for one on a street bike unless your sitting on the fuel tank doing wheelies. I like the idea of lowering the footpegs. I am 6,3 and a little cramped with the stock pegs. ps. if you let others ride your bike make sure you tell them that's not a clutch lever, they'll still lock up the rear wheel before they realize you don't have to shift and when coming to a stop.

trgssgt

I have a left hand rear brake on my alta mx and I love it. great for dirt bikes where you have to put your foot down often but I couldn't see a reason for one on a street bike unless your sitting on the fuel tank doing wheelies. I like the idea of lowering the footpegs. I am 6,3 and a little cramped with the stock pegs. ps. if you let others ride your bike make sure you tell them that's not a clutch lever, they'll still lock up the rear wheel before they realize you don't have to shift and when coming to a stop.
No problem with that, I am the only one who will ride it. You can buy lowered pegs from Zero which includes a different shape rear brake lever that account for the difference. The Zero pegs lower it by 20mm (don't know how much difference that will make) mine have lowered by 40mm which has made a huge difference but brake lever is now way out of sync which is the main reason to convert, however with the brake on the front hill starts will be a lot easier.

I have an electric car where unless I select auto hold (which I don't like) when you stop the car will creep which I do like especially when you stop on a hill. I thought the electric bike would be the same but as you know when the throttle is completely off it will roll backwards if on a hill. Now I prefer both feet on the ground when stopped on a hill and The front rear brake lever will make hill starts a lot easier. I hope to buy the kit today I will send you photos when done.

Frank

trgssgt

Hi,

Now converted my 2022 SR to a front rear brake and painted the tank. The brake conversion was simple to do and it feels quite natural to operate the rear brake from the front instead of your foot operated position. It works well.

Attachments

Frosty64

I am 63 years old and have been riding since I was 11. I have had many motorcycles over the years, street, dirt, and dual sport. 4 years ago I bought my first electric bike, a 2018 Alta supermoto, and fell hard for electric bikes. I then put an electric motor on an occ stingray bicycle, got a Sur Ron and upped it to 72 volts and bought another Alta, a 2017 mx, I recently sold 7 ice bikes and decided it's time to go for more range electrically. I looked at Energica and lightning but really fell for the 2022 zero sr. first impression is that it is a wonderful bike, not just for an electric bike, a wonderful bike all around. very smooth, almost silent, very well balanced, and pretty quick. I mainly ride back roads and rarely exceed 60 miles on a ride so the 100 mile plus range is fine with me. I may upgrade the range and power settings in the future but right now I'm riding with abs and traction control on until I find how the bike will perform in certain circumstances but first thing will be a rear fender eliminator to get rid of the license plate wheelie bar. does anyone know if a sr/f or sr/t fender eliminator will fit this bike? anyhow any suggestions or heads up on potential issues would be welcome. if I had to have one complaint about the bike it would be that the rear brake pedal isn't where I think it should be...it feels like I have to point my toes under the bike to find the pedal, I will get used to it, other than that CANYON MODE ROCKS! PS...I'm not abandoning ice bikes completely I'm keep ing my Norton, super hawk,xtrainer,lt750 quad and trx250r quad. so 5 electrics and 5 gas burners a nice balance.
Great reading your post, good to meet a fellow motorcycle devotee. I am 77 and will pickup my Zero DSR next Tuesday. So looking forward to climbing Mount Lemon and watching the sun sets over looking Tucson. I've owned 78 motorcycles and several ATV's and eBikes, Sondors. I've enjoyed three Can Am Spyders, F3, RT and STS. Went to Valcourt Quebec for the Spyder Tenth Anniversary which was a wonderful experience. Spyders everywhere! Well good to meet you and stay up on those wheels! Oh almost forgot, just sold my BMW Dakar, and miss it already. It grew too tall for my old butt....