Riding without a clutch

adaviel

I just bought an FXS (originally wanted an FX, but the last 2017 in Canada sold 20 minutes before I got there).

I intend to use it off-road a bit, and take it aboard my sailboat. I'm replacing my stolen Suzuki DR200.

I realize that I used the clutch for things other than just changing gear. E.g. holding the bike while backing down a ramp standing beside it, holding the bike on a steep grade with both feet on the ground, parking on a steep grade.

How do other FX riders manage these situations ?

ericlesterwhite

I use the hand brake when backing down the ramp (make sure front tire has decent tread and ramp isn't so steap that it doesn't still slide down). When loading, I turn it on, put it in eco mode, slowly twist the throttle and walk along side it to load it up into the truck bed.

All the other things you mentioned I use the hand brake and it works just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DonTom

I just bought an FXS (originally wanted an FX, but the last 2017 in Canada sold 20 minutes before I got there).

I intend to use it off-road a bit, and take it aboard my sailboat. I'm replacing my stolen Suzuki DR200.

I realize that I used the clutch for things other than just changing gear. E.g. holding the bike while backing down a ramp standing beside it, holding the bike on a steep grade with both feet on the ground, parking on a steep grade.

How do other FX riders manage these situations ?
The E-bikes are the best of all for getting up and down ramps. BTW, I own a 2002 Suzuki DR200SE (plus eight other motorcycles--two are Zero electrics) and the DR200SE was a hassle compared to the Zeros going up the ramp. The Zeros can safely use their own power to go up the ramp. No clutch with a low speed throttle response is something that no ICE bike can match. I now always take my Zero DS ZF 6.5 on all my RV trips. I won't leave home on the RV without it.

You will find all you need is the front brake to get down the ramp.

BTW, always use a front brake lock to hold the bike still during transport. The Zero electric bikes are as if in neutral when not running. It is often helpful to use non-slip tape on the ramp.

-Don- Reno, NV