Wrapping

trgssgt

Hi,

I have just bought a 2022 SR in grey and find the colour scheme a bit dull. I am going wrap the fender and parts of the tank in Matte red hopefully to make it look like the SR in zero's webpage when you to into Bike's and click on SR.

Anyway I can take the fender off easily but not too sure about the tank. I don't intend to take the tank off completely, just the parts I want to wrap which are the storage lid and (for want of a better description) the wings of the tank (pointy bits). Has anyone ever dismantled a SR or SR/F tank?

Regards

Frank

Frosty64

Sounds like a simple disassembly. I have learned, after messing up such work, to take pictures as I am taking things apart. helps to reassemble odd parts. Wrapping sounds like a easy way to change the looks of vehicles. Good luck!

trgssgt

Sounds like a simple disassembly. I have learned, after messing up such work, to take pictures as I am taking things apart. helps to reassemble odd parts. Wrapping sounds like a easy way to change the looks of vehicles. Good luck!
Hi Frosty,

I gave up on the wrapping as I found that my skills did not make it work so I ended up getting the tank and fender professionaly sprayed Green (green bike!!!). As for taking off the tank it was very easy there are just 6 screws to undo and it lifts straight off. Here are some pictures of the finished bike. I also lowered the pegs 40mm and raised the bars up 20mm and offset them 20mm towards me (both of these mods makes the bike a lot more comfortable). Lastly I decommissioned the rear brake from the footbrake to the front left hand side handlebar which make hill starts much easier.

All the best.

Frank

NEW BIKE PHOTO.jpg

Attachments

Frosty64

Oh well, best laid plans and all. Like your relocation to the brake as that’s the perfect place. Did you disable the foot pedal and remove it? What was involved, wiring or more?

trgssgt

Hi, Kenneth/Frosty, I left the foot pedal where it was but drained the fluid as it was not needed and to reduce leaks. The process was very easy once I worked out what had to be done. On my bike the way the ABS works (and most likely on all other ABS bikes) is that the foot piston connects to the ABS pump directly with a hydraulic hose and then another hose comes from the ABS pump to the brake cylinder. So to disconnect/decommission the foot brake all you have to do is diconnect the hose from the foot piston to the ABS pump but do not disconnect the hose from the ABS pump to the brake cylinder. You then mount the new hand operated piston on the handlebar and connect it to where the foot piston hose used to be and bobs your uncle job done.

Obviously you have to bleed the new hand operated piston but that was easy. I left the original hose from the foot brake in position but capped it off at the ABS pump end and as explained earlier I drained the foot brake Reservoir just in case I pressed the brake pedal by mistake. Job involved the following:-

a. Removed the tank.
b. Removed the ignition switch, moved it aside to give me access to the top of the ABS pump.
c. Drained the foot Reservoir.
d. Removed the hose from the foot pedal to the ABS pump and used a cut off plastic glove finger and tape to cap it.
e. Mount the new slave clyinder on the handlebar and connect the hose from that to wear the foot pedal hose used to go.
f. Bled the system.
g. Remounted the tank.

There was no wiring involved as I resused the bolt that held the original foot pedal hose in place and that had the brake switch mounted on top of it.

Regards

Frank

Frosty64

Thanks! Picked up my DSR today and after a hour ride found the seat sucks seriously, the bars are ridiculous, and as I was about to leave the dealership I mentioned changing the bars and seat. The two techs told me not to change anything for two years as that would void the warranty. Sure wish that had been said before I bought the bike. I would not have sprung for a Zero had I known this aspect. Ill fitting bike, worst I've ever owned in fact. Designed for tiny riders who like to lean into the bars while riding. My Sondors bicycles have better ergonomics. Damn shame that spending 17k on a bike that cannot ever fit properly is sick. This is my 78th motorcycle and I've never had this situation with any of them. Looking into returning it..........

B.FRANK

I have an alta(electric mx) which also uses brembo brakes and have installed a left hand rear brake kit by rekluse that maintains the rear brake pedal. I opted to keep the brake pedal because I let others ride my bike in hopes of furthering the interest in ebikes and figured they may wreck my bike if the brake pedal was not there or was there and did not work. you might want to look into that. I also have a 22 sr but don't think I want the lhrb on that so I never checked master cylinder compatibility....sorry about that

Frosty64

I have an alta(electric mx) which also uses brembo brakes and have installed a left hand rear brake kit by rekluse that maintains the rear brake pedal. I opted to keep the brake pedal because I let others ride my bike in hopes of furthering the interest in ebikes and figured they may wreck my bike if the brake pedal was not there or was there and did not work. you might want to look into that. I also have a 22 sr but don't think I want the lhrb on that so I never checked master cylinder compatibility....sorry about that
Could you tell us about the brake conversion kit you used? Own a 2023 Zero DSR 14.4 and hope to find a way of adding a mechanical front brake to the left handlebar.

B.FRANK

rekluse.com. rekluse is a company that makes innovative parts for dirt bikes . they are best known for their clutches which make clutching almost non essential. they also offer a left hand rear brake kit that retains the foot pedal. this system works with most brembo rear master cylinders and is pretty easy to install if you have a power bleeder. check it out on rekluse.com and give them a call to make sure it works on your bike. they only sell one kit, no options, so either it will or will not work on your bike. great product, good luck.

Frosty64

Thanks, this may work on the Zero's but have to see if the kit will tie into the master on the Zero. Just checking pictures I think it may. I have called Rekluse and spoke with the techs who are checking on this.

trgssgt

Thanks, this may work on the Zero's but have to see if the kit will tie into the master on the Zero. Just checking pictures I think it may. I have called Rekluse and spoke with the techs who are checking on this.
Hi Frosty,

Any clutch master cylinder will do. I bought a 14mm size clutch master cylinder from Aliexpress and it works fine with my 2022 SR. All you will need to buy (as well as the Ali Express master cylinder is a hydraulic hose). Here is the good bit, the master cylinder is dirt cheap which means if for some reason it won't work you have not lost much. I am 100% confident it will be ok. I would also go ahead and relocate the bars as you could easily revert back to normal if you had to take the bike in for a warranty claim, same with the brake conversion.

The original rear brake cylinder on your bike is probably around 11-12mm in size. So any hand operated master cylinder MUST be at least the same size to get the same performance as your foot operated master cylinder, that's why I fitted a 14mm cylinder to my bike.

I will send you the link to WordPress later.

Regards

Frank

trgssgt

Hi Frosty,

Here is the link to the cylinder. Just make sure when buying that you select the left hand side cylinder, if not you will end up with a front brake cylinder.

Regards

PS I have used aliexpress for years for many different items without ANY problems so don't be put off by the fact it is Chinese, let's not forget your Teslas are built there (well some of them).