Charging at home

GaryLavin

I just upgraded my SR to an SR/S, love it except some belt noise they are working on. We also have a Tesla and I'm wondering about charging the bike with the Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 we use for the Tesla. Anyone found an adapter for a reasonable price that works?

DonTom

I just upgraded my SR to an SR/S, love it except some belt noise they are working on. We also have a Tesla and I'm wondering about charging the bike with the Gen 2 NEMA 14-50 we use for the Tesla. Anyone found an adapter for a reasonable price that works?
Doesn't the SR/S come with a charging cable?

I made my own for my SR so I can charge from 120 or 240 VAC when on the road, as high as 8KW with my SR and as high as 6.4 KW with my DS.

At home, I can charge my SR (with power tank) at ten KW (too much stuff to take on the road).

I often charge from 14-50 plugs. See my 2017 DS here charging at 6.4 KW from a 14-50.

Do you have a 3 or 6 KW charging?

I also charge my bikes from a Tesla Wall Connector using a Tesla-Tap.

You can buy a granny cable for 6KW and modify it to be shorter for the road or use it at home as is. Cheaper if your SR/S is the 3 KW version.

But if you own a Tesla, and only want to charge at home, consider installing a Tesla Wall Connector and set it up for 48 amps (240 VAC times 48 amps is 11,520 watts) and then buy a Tesla Tap and charge your bike with it. That's how I charge at home.

-Don- Reno, NV

GaryLavin

Thanks Don, the SR/S does come with a cable, I was just trying to see if I could use my faster Tesla port for charging. Not sure I wanted to spend $300 on that though. The bike charges fine overnight on a standard plug. I did see that the 40Amp TeslaTap is $200, I'm guessing the bike can't use much more than that. I would just use my existing Tesla cable plugged in to the Nema 14 - 50 with the TeslaTap at the end?

DonTom

Thanks Don, the SR/S does come with a cable, I was just trying to see if I could use my faster Tesla port for charging. Not sure I wanted to spend $300 on that though. The bike charges fine overnight on a standard plug. I did see that the 40Amp TeslaTap is $200, I'm guessing the bike can't use much more than that. I would just use my existing Tesla cable plugged in to the Nema 14 - 50 with the TeslaTap at the end?
Your cable the bike came with--what are the ratings listed on the box? Voltage range, current and/or watts?

And is your bike the 3KW or 6 KW version?

40 amps at 240 V is 9,600 watts. More than enough for either the 3K or the 6k model of the SR/S. Even 32 amps is more than enough as that is 7,680 watts. Volts times amps=watts. You need to have more than the bike draws (3KW bike= 12.5 amps, 6KW charger on bike=25 amps @ 240 VAC).

-Don- Reno, NV

GaryLavin

The SR/S is 3KW, the premiun has a 2nd 3KW, but not mine, sounds like the 40A is good.
The charger says 120V,60Hz, 12A, 1440W

DonTom

The SR/S is 3KW, the premiun has a 2nd 3KW, but not mine, sounds like the 40A is good.The charger says 120V,60Hz, 12A, 1440W
Charging with 240 VAC with J1772 will be twice as fast. So if you already have the 240 VAC you can use the NEMA 14-50 cable from your Telsa and use the cheapest Tesla-Tap you can find, since you only need 12.5 amps at 240 VAC for 3,000 watts.

BTW, to use the Tesla Tap from a Tesla Wall Connector or from a Tesla Destination charge station, have power going to the Tesla-Tap for at least one minute before you connect to the bike. While this could only be necessary when using a Tesla Wall Connector or Tesla Destination charge station, it's still a good habit to get used to even when you plug into a NEMA 14-50 . But the wait probably is not really necessary on the 14-50. It is ALWAYS necessary on the Tesla stations as it takes time for them to switch modes.

If there are Tesla destination chargers in the areas you ride in, bring the Tesla Tap with you. I have my three electric motorcycles set up to be able to charge from anything possible while on the road, 120 or 240 VAC. Even from the weird stuff. Read my Oct 23, 2020 check-in here, for an example. I rarely charge anywhere with 120 VAC, but it is still better than nothing.

BTW, EV chargers are all more efficient at 240 VAC than at 120 VAC, means less heat in the charger and the charger will probably last longer as you get even a slightly better charge than double.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Geez, Faster charging?? mine only takes about 6 seconds, plug it in, 3 seconds, unplug it 3 seconds, I'genally don't just stand there and wait for it to charge, there's refreshing beverages need consuming, wimmin need chasing, books need reading , wimmin need chasing, and some not important stuff too.

DonTom

Geez, Faster charging?? mine only takes about 6 seconds, plug it in, 3 seconds, unplug it 3 seconds, I'genally don't just stand there and wait for it to charge, there's refreshing beverages need consuming, wimmin need chasing, books need reading , wimmin need chasing, and some not important stuff too.
I guess you will not use your bike for any long trips! I charge my 2017 SR above 7KW. That means I can take the bike for a reasonably long distance as long as I can find 240 VAC to charge with (either 14-50R, J-1772, Tesla destination) while in route.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I have a Burgman 650 for longer hauls, using the Zero for a 200 mile trip is kinda like using a screwdriver for a hammer imho. Proper tool for the job kinda thing.