DSR ultra hypermiling test, range algorithm research

Ben Mater

With a 2020 DSR started a hypermiling test at 50% battery, about 50 miles of range (1:1 common for normal riding). For 5% battery stayed at 20-40; half steady and other pulse/glide. Saw calulated range climb radically to about 120 miles.

But when going ULTRA hypermiling, 30 mph coasting (no regen) to 1 mph, saw something very interesting: the calculated range jumps astronomically at 2-3 mph, and 6 mph to near stop -- using just 3% of battery for this test -- may yield near endless range. After bringing down the battery to 40%, recharge to 100% yielded OVER 400 estimated miles!
20201022_081435.jpg

This short test tells me the range algorithm does not use a weighted speed factor against time (with energy per mile). Meaning very slow speeds adds too much data relative to their actual value vs normal use. Thus estimated ranges will be less than actual (unless you stay hypermiling). Just rolling a few yards at 2-6mph (with some feet pushing) can jump up your range by 5 miles.

I think a better calculation would not even factor in data under 5mph, as coasting to a stop (for example) distorts the numbers up too much (only to drop at normal riding).

Bet if I continued the Ultra test could see 1000 displayed range (tho it seems to reset to 0 after (around) 410 miles; now see range at just 17 miles (but returns to +400 after short speed bust).

The fun facist to explore here is how far a Zero can actually go, assuming you stay at 6mph and coast to 2mph (as possible). LA to San Francisco on a single charge / week long ride?

(For the ultra testing had headlight in 'night hawk' mode, in between brights and normal leaves just the yellow light).

Going to test more, but it appears can keep adding range with no end in sight. Again, the +400 miles of estimed range at 100% was from just using 10% of battery. The efficiency of electric at low speeds is incredible (assuming time is not a factor).

Last edited: