SR/F home charging sta

clubman

Hi guys! Have a 2 month old SR/F Premium and I'm thinking about putting a level 2 charger in my garage, accessing 220V will not be a problem. Now that these bikes have been around awhile I'm sure there are some preferred suppliers that you guys have discovered. There are tons of automotive J1772 compatible units on sites like Amazon for $200-$400, yet some of these say "not compatible with motorcycles? Educate me, please. Thanks

DonTom

Hi guys! Have a 2 month old SR/F Premium and I'm thinking about putting a level 2 charger in my garage, accessing 220V will not be a problem. Now that these bikes have been around awhile I'm sure there are some preferred suppliers that you guys have discovered. There are tons of automotive J1772 compatible units on sites like Amazon for $200-$400, yet some of these say "not compatible with motorcycles? Educate me, please. Thanks
I don't recall ever seeing one that says "not compatible with motorcycles". Can you provide a link to such?

An EV charge station and motorcycle charger should not care at all that it is a motorcycle. J-1772, Tesla Wall and a 14-50R are mainly just all just 240 VAC supplies.

The only thing you should be concerned with is if you want to charge at 6 KW. At 240 VAC you should have at least a 32 amp cable, which is good for 7,680 watts (240 Volts times 32 amps=7,680 watts).

If you also have the charge tank, you will want to go even higher.

FWIW, I own five EVs. Two Zeros, an Energica, a Tesla M3 and a new 2022 Chevy Bolt that I purchased just yesterday.

I charge them all from my Tesla Wall Connector by using a Tesla Tap.

I use external chargers on my Zeros, I can charge my 2017 SR at up to 7.8 KW when on the road and 10 KW when at home.

-Don- Auburn, CA

clubman

I don't recall ever seeing one that says "not compatible with motorcycles". Can you provide a link to such?

An EV charge station and motorcycle charger should not care at all that it is a motorcycle. J-1772, Tesla Wall and a 14-50R are mainly just all just 240 VAC supplies.

The only thing you should be concerned with is if you want to charge at 6 KW. At 240 VAC you should have at least a 32 amp cable, which is good for 7,680 watts (240 Volts times 32 amps=7,680 watts).

If you also have the charge tank, you will want to go even higher.

FWIW, I own five EVs. Two Zeros, an Energica, a Tesla M3 and a new 2022 Chevy Bolt that I purchased just yesterday.

I charge them all from my Tesla Wall Connector by using a Tesla Tap.

I use external chargers on my Zeros, I can charge my 2017 SR at up to 7.8 KW when on the road and 10 KW when at home.

-Don- Auburn, CA
Thanks for the quick answer, I now know a lot more about charging. The SR/F premium comes with 2, 3KW chargers installed, only 1 of which operates when plugged into the 110V charge controller supplied. Level 2 activates the second charger and that is what I am aiming for. I'm looking at Lectron level 2 charge controllers, of which there are many. A 240V 16A version is about $200 . To double that up to 32A is another $100. I'm thinking the extra money may be worth it just for a heavier duty unit? There are no other EV's in my immediate future. Of course all of this is currently (pun intended) moot until Zero figures out what is wrong with the charging system on my bike (in the shop going on 3 wks. now). Thanks again for your help. Joel

DonTom

Thanks for the quick answer, I now know a lot more about charging. The SR/F premium comes with 2, 3KW chargers installed, only 1 of which operates when plugged into the 110V charge controller supplied. Level 2 activates the second charger and that is what I am aiming for. I'm looking at Lectron level 2 charge controllers, of which there are many. A 240V 16A version is about $200 . To double that up to 32A is another $100. I'm thinking the extra money may be worth it just for a heavier duty unit? There are no other EV's in my immediate future. Of course all of this is currently (pun intended) moot until Zero figures out what is wrong with the charging system on my bike (in the shop going on 3 wks. now). Thanks again for your help. Joel
I now own five EVs. Yeah, five. I am hopelessly hooked.

They are:

2017 Zero DS
2017 Zero SR (with pwr tank).
2018 Tesla M3, AWD, LR.
2020 Energica Esse Esse 9
2022 Chevy Bolt Hatchback.

I purchased the Chevy Bolt just two days ago. And it has a recall since yesterday!

Since you have the 6KW charger (total of the two), I would pay for the 32 amps. 240 VAC as 32 amps is above 7 KW. Yes, it will be better built as well as give you a faster charge if you have 240 VAC. If you only have 120 VAC available, the cheaper granny cable will be fine for home use.

IAC, be sure you buy one that works on 120 VAC as well as 240 VAC.

BTW, I modified mine to make it much smaller and I carry mine on my Energica. I sometimes charge it from an outlet when on the road. Such as from here.

-Don- Auburn, CA

slant911

Great info. The charger that came with my bike works on both 120VAC and 240 VAC. Thinking about installing a 240 VAC plug in the garage. What will I gain with this charger 120 v vs. 240 v? I am thinking charging twice as fast? Bike is not premium. Standard version.

my 2021 sr book says 240 is no faster than 120 using the obd charger, so, you get same thing but with lower amps and higher volts

link didn't work, the only thing I got with my bike was a cord, the manual says it can be plugged in to a 240 (with an adapter for the wall side , same socket and cord ) but it won't charge any faster cause you are still using the same on board charger to convert ac to dc, I hope your bike and mine are different and you can charge faster, I would like to use a 240 and reduced amps, cause the cord overheats, or at least heats up more than I think it should when doing a charge, I normally charge at 30/35 % and charge to 100 overnite

slant911

Well damn. I have all the parts to put in the 240V outlet so I will go on and do it and see what happens. My screen shows around 1.2 to 1.3KW when charging on the 120V outlet and yes the cord and charger box gets warmer than I would like it to. Hoping to see something around 3.8KW on the 240V outlet. We shall see this weekend. Will report back.

slant911

OK had some time this morning to install the 240V outlet. And indeed the bike IS charging at between 2.9 and 3.2 KW..more than twice as fast as on 120VAC circuit. Not quite the 3.8KW I was hoping for but still was worth the effort. And bonus the charger and cord are not hot like before. Time will tell on that though as I just plugged it in. So Mikey not sure why yours would not. Would like to hear why if you discover the answer.

OK had some time this morning to install the 240V outlet. And indeed the bike IS charging at between 2.9 and 3.2 KW..more than twice as fast as on 120VAC circuit. Not quite the 3.8KW I was hoping for but still was worth the effort. And bonus the charger and cord are not hot like before. Time will tell on that though as I just plugged it in. So Mikey not sure why yours would not. Would like to hear why if you discover the answer.
I am still trying to get the part number for the 240 adapter, I may drive to the "local" service center and see if they have any idea, they don't answer emails or phone calls

Well damn. I have all the parts to put in the 240V outlet so I will go on and do it and see what happens. My screen shows around 1.2 to 1.3KW when charging on the 120V outlet and yes the cord and charger box gets warmer than I would like it to. Hoping to see something around 3.8KW on the 240V outlet. We shall see this weekend. Will report back.
what kind of charging time did you end up with?

slant911

Mikey, What charger cord came with your bike? Is it the turbocord made by Webasto? Looks like on this web page?

https://www.evsolutions.com/

If so I can get you the part number off of mine for the 240V adapter thing.

My charge time was cut to less than half time. I only needed 10% SOC which on the 120v outlet took about an hour typically. Was done in 25 minutes on the 240V and the cord was barely even warm not hot like before. So by my math complete dead to full would take around 3.5 hours roughly.

its a level 1 charging cord, looks like a vacuum cleaner cord not the ev solutions cord, a zero dealer in texas sent the part number for the adapter for the cord I have, it's the same one I found and has no benefit as far as charging time, I guess the 2021 is different, after 4000 miles I am ready to sell at a loss, dang thing is noisy , heavy, (topheavy) charges slow, uncomfortable compared to my other bike, , and no dealer support within 50 miles.
but thanks for the help anyway